What Is Freelance Writing?
Freelance writing online is a great way to earn an income. Writers are able to earn a full time income from home with some of the best freelance writing websites. Writers are often writing material to be published for magazines, books, online, and/or press releases. Many people choose to do freelance writing for an extra income, while others are finding it to supply them with a full time income. Similar to doing transcription work from home, freelance writing often offers the freedom and flexibility to create your own schedule, and also to work as little or as much as you want. Workers enjoy the opportunity to be able to work from home with some of the best freelance writing websites while being at home with their children. With the opportunity to be able to work as much or as little as you would like, as well as being able to create your own schedule, freelancers are also provided with the flexibility of being able to travel if and when they choose. These are reasons why freelance jobs have now become so common. Freelance writing is a legitimate way to make money online, as there are so many freelance writing opportunities available.
How Do I Get A Freelance Writing Job?
It seems that more and more businesses are relying on freelancers to work for their companies. This has enabled freelance workers to be hired for both short term and long term work. Some of the best freelance writing websites and freelance job boards have made it easier for people to become self-employed as freelancers.
To be able to make a higher income with freelance writing online, it is best to sign up with a few freelance companies to be able to establish your presence and to build your portfolio. Once you have built up a good standing and companies are able to review your past work, it will be easier to get more jobs, and you will also get higher pay.
How Do Freelance Writers Get Paid?
Freelance companies have their own forms of payment for their employees. A lot of freelance writers may make an agreement with the company they work for to be paid in intervals as they accomplish the work. Alternatively other companies will pay freelance workers once an assignment is completed.
Larger corporations or companies choose to pay writers in the form of cheques, while smaller companies will issue payments through Paypal.
What Types of Freelance Jobs Are There?
While freelance writing and editing jobs are the most common, there are various types of other freelance jobs available. These jobs offer freelancers the opportunity and flexibility to create their own schedules and be able to work from home on either a part time or full time basis. Some of the different types of freelance jobs include:
- Writing: Writing is the most common form of online freelance jobs.
- Editing: More and more companies are finding it useful to be able to hire freelancers to edit different forms of documentation.
- Data Entry: There are many online job opportunities for data entry work.
- Transcription: There are many online job opportunities to do transcription work from home.
- Virtual assisting: This often involves work over the phone. Working as a virtual assistant is especially helpful if you have a background as an administrative assistant.
What Are The Best Freelance Writing Websites?
There are dozens of online freelance writing sites. Each company has different guidelines and different rates of pay. The payment for most of these sites is in the form of cheque, direct deposit, or Paypal.
- Upwork: Upwork is among the most popular of freelance websites. This site offers workers opportunities to work both short term and long term.
- Fiverr: Fiverr has become one of the top sites for freelancers. It offers almost any kind of opportunity you can think of to make money. People pay $5 for basic gigs to be performed but workers are also charging higher rates to perform more time consuming gigs. This now enables some workers to be able to earn hundreds of dollars a day with Fiverr. Common services that freelancers provide on Fiverr include but are not limited to SEO type work, graphic design, animation, transcription services, and creating videos.
- Freelancer: Offers freelancers the opportunity to work with developing, designing, and SEO.
- Guru: Mainly focused on web development and design.
- 99designs: This site is a bit different in that it allows freelancers to compete with each other for their own designs.
- Craigslist: Craigslist is most commonly known for a site to sell things, but it also a great place to be able to get some freelance jobs.
- PeoplePerHour: A site mainly geared toward web development projects.
- SimplyHired: Compiles together multiple online job sites so that freelancers are able to have the best jobs to choose from.
- LeafGroup: Combines job opportunities for writers, producers, and even photographers.
- Project4Hire: Offers a variety of jobs for freelancers to choose from.
- LocalSolo: Offers the ability to find freelance work locally.
- Toptal: Hires freelancers mainly for software development type of work.
- FreelanceWritingGigs: This is a popular freelance site for bloggers. It offers a great platform for writing and editing.
- CollegeRecruiter: Primarily for recent graduates. It even offers some resume building help and is a great way to start a freelancing career.
- Patreon: Patreon is a bit different in that it allows freelancers to create their own material such as music and different types of media.
What Are Some Of The Best Freelance Writing Books?
If you are interested in finding out more about freelance writing for beginners, I would highly recommend these freelance writing books:
- The Essential Guide To Writing: How To Write, Work, and Thrive On Your Own Terms: Guides on what kind of writing you should pursue such as magazines, newspapers, etc. Also advises in negotiating contracts and keeping steady work as a freelance writer.
- Make Money As A Freelance Writer: 7 Simple Steps to Start Your Freelance Writing Business And Earn Your First $1000: Provides information on how to choose topics to write about and how to create your freelance portfolio.
- Freelance Writing On The Side: From No Experience To A 4 Figure A Month Business In Less Than 30 Days: Shows you how to earn a full time income as a freelance writer without having any previous experience.
Having a career as a freelance writer is a very rewarding opportunity. Freelance writing is a legitimate way to make money online. The best freelance writing websites provide you with the freedom and flexibility to create your own working schedule, and to be able to work from home.
Looking for other ways to make money from home?